Date:      Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:08:45 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Graham Bentley <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting again from Scratch

--TakKZr9L6Hm6aLOc

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 03:18:58PM +0100, Graham Bentley wrote:
> OK, I am fairly new to FreeBSD and returning from a long while away.
>=20
> I am currently working on an install I have performed from the 6.2
> release discs I downloaded several days ago.
>=20
> I chose X-Kern-Dev install and have a mixed bag of pkg_add -r
> packages, some programs I have downloaded and compiled from source
> from developers sites (Claws-mail and Xfce4 to name 2) as well as
> apps I cd'ed into into /usr/ports/name and made [nvidia for 1]

<snip>

> I am only aware of the names cvsup, portupgrade, portmanager,=20
> portsnap, make world etc and am getting this round my neck a=20
> bit but this is what I have summized ;
>=20
> 1) Do basic [minimal] install of 6.2 rel from disc 1
> 2) pkg_add cvsup-without-gui and get the latest ports installed

No need for that anymore. A rewrite of cvsup in C called csup is part of
the base system in 6.2.

> 3) Build *everything* from this ports tree [including base/kernel?]
> 4) Find out how to keep updated / informed on updates to packages
>    I have installed, and do so where necessary.

That's what you use portmaster(8) or portmanager(8) for. (I use portmaster =
now).

For updating the ports tree, I use portsnap(8).

First time that you use it:

# portsnap fetch extract

After that;

# portsnap fetch update

Getting a list of installed ports, inluding available updates:

$ portmaster -L >ports.list

If you read the list, you'll see which ones have updates available.

First thing to do is read /usr/ports/UPDATING. Skipping this might leave
you with broken ports, in which case you get to keep both pieces.=20

Next you usually update your ports with e.g;

# portmaster -B -d <name_of_port>

Unless UPDATING tells you otherwise. Do read the manual pages of the
tools you're using.

> If anyone can advise, point me in the direction of tutorials
> or step by steps, on the above It would be greatly appreciated.
>=20
> I would like to understand why its not so great to just install
> everything from pkg_add, whats the advantages of ports etc=20

With pkg_add you get the default options for the port (if any). That
might not be what you want. And not all configuration options can be set
with the OPTIONS mechanism.=20
See http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/freebsd/index.html#make.conf

Roland
--=20