Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:28:21 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike McLaughlin <obrith@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org, jpaetzel@ixsystems.com
Subject:   Re: SSD recommendations for ZFS cache/log

On 11/16/12 12:15 PM, Mike McLaughlin wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM, John <jwd@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>> ----- Julian Elischer's Original Message -----

>>> Well, since you brought the subject up :-)
>>>
>>> Do you have any recommendations for an NVRAM unit usable with Freebsd?
>>>
>> I've always had my eyes on something like this for ZIL but never had the
>> need to explore it yet: http://www.ddrdrive.com/
>> Most recommendations I've seen have also been around mirrored 15krpm disks
>> of some sort or even a cheaper battery-backed raid controller in front of
>> decent disks. for zil it would just need a tiny bit of RAM anyway.
>>

> First, I wholeheartedly agree with some of the other posts calling for more
> documentation and FAQs on ZFS; It's sorely lacking and there is a whole lot
> of FUD and outdated information.
>
> I've tested several SSDs, I have a few DDRdrives, and I have a ZuesRAM (in
> a TrueNAS appliance - and another on order that I can test with Solaris).
> The DDRdrive is OK at best. The latency is quite good, but it's not very
> high throughput mostly because it's PCIe 1x I believe. It can do lots of
> very small writes but peaks out at about 130MB/sec no matter the blocksize.
> If you're using GbE, you're set. If you're using LAGG or 10GbE, it's not
> great for the price. I also just had a wicked evening a few days ago when
> my building lost power for a few hours at night and UPSs failed. The UPS
> that the DDRdrive was attached to died at the same time the one backing the
> server and it broke my zpool quite severely - none of the typical recovery
> commands worked at all (this was an OpenIndiana box) and the DDRdrive lost
> 100% of it's configuration - the system thought it was a brand new drive
> that didn't belong in the pool (it lost it's partition table, label, etc) .
> It was a disappointing display by the DDRdrive. I know it's my own fault
> for the power, but the thing is not a good idea if you aren't 100% certain
> it's battery will outlast the system UPS/shutdown. The SSD that I've had by
> far and away the best luck with that has a supercap is the Intel 320. I've
> got a couple systems with 300gb Intel 320's, partitioned to use 15gb for
> ZIL (and the rest empty). I've been using them for about a year now and
> have been monitoring the wear. They will not exceed their expected write
> lifetime until they've written about 1.2PB or more - several years at a
> fairly heavy workload for me. It can also do 100-175MB/sec and ~10-20k IOPS
> depending on the workload, often outpacing the DDRdrives. I'm going to get
> my hands on the new Intel drives with supercaps coming out as soon as
> they're available - they look quite promising.
>
> As for the ZuesRAM, it's exceedingly fast at the system level. I haven't
> been able to test it thoroughly in my setup though - It seems FreeBSD has a
> pretty severe performance issue with sync writes over NFS written to the
> ZIL, at least in backing VMware. I have a very high end system from IX that
> [...]

I know someone mentionned the Fusion-IO drives as expensive but it would
be good to get ix-systems to let us know how much the new cards are..
especially the small 'consumer' one. (io-FX).. I work there
(Fusion-IO) but
I have NO IDEA what the price is. I know ix have tested them in their
TrueNAS  boxes as L2ARC but I don't really know the numbers.
We do have one (old) card in panther2 (I think) in the FreeBSD cluster
so if anyne wants to try it out as a ZIL or L2ARC (an know someone
with access)
then there is that possibility.