Date:      Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:29:58 -0700
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        "Kenneth P. Stox" <stox@imagescape.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org, Stanislav Posonsky <posonsky@iname.ru>
Subject:   RE: About The Symbolism

Didn't the same or a similar cartoon devil appear in old "Casper the
Friendly Ghost" cartoons?

Joe

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Kenneth P.  |
|        |          Stox"        |
|        |          <stox@imagesc|
|        |          ape.com>     |
|        |                       |
|        |          11/22/00     |
|        |          01:21 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     Stanislav Posonsky <posonsky@iname.ru>    |
  |       cc:     advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, (bcc: Joe           |
  |       Warner/SMS)                                       |
  |       Subject:     RE: About The Symbolism              |
  >---------------------------------------------------------|

It is a Daemon, not the Devil. As many will point out, it has been the
beloved
mascot of BSD for many years. The only way it will be taken away is after
they
take the guns from our cold dead hands. ;->

I will point out that my company provides Internet services to wide range
of
religously affiliated organizations from Lutherans to Evangelicals to a
catholic brotherhood. All of these organizations have been extremely happy
with
FreeBSD. As far as I know, none of them has attempted to Exorcise any
FreeBSd
servers yet, though I do know an Exchange server that could probably use
it.
They know, well enough, that the devil will appear to sheep's clothing. I
personally suspect he will be wearing glasses and live somewhere in the
northwest of Washington state.

Always remember, in contrast to some other operating systems, FreeBSD
people use
the system, they don't worship it.

If you wish, you can think of it as the ultimate victory, using the devil
to do
god's work.

On 20-Nov-00 Stanislav Posonsky wrote:
>         I like FreeBSD itself. It is a nice and the coolest OS of all
times
> and
> peoples! At the same time as an Orthodox believer I cannot and should not
> use it because of  such an ambiguous (or may be not ambiguous?)
symbolism.
>         I think that the present state of things may present a serious
> obstacle
> a wider spread of FreeBSD in countries traditionally professing
> Christianity, Judaism and Islam.
>         How essential, do you think, is such a symbolism for FreeBSD
products
> line?
>         FreeBSD just like any other Unix OS is first of all a multi-user
OS

E-Mail: Kenneth P. Stox <stox@imagescape.com>