Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:48:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Varju <alex@varju.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        alex@varju.bc.ca
Subject:   pccard problem with compaq armada e500

Hi there,

I am trying to install FreeBSD on a Compaq Armada e500, and have run into
a bit of a snag.  I've done a little bit of searching, and found somebody
else who seems to have had the same problem several months ago, with no
solution found:

 http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2335+4178+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-mobile/20001119.freebsd-mobile

To summarize, I have a 3Com 3C574B card which hangs the laptop when I
insert it (or boot with it inserted).  I installed 4.2-RELEASE from CD,
and started to play from there.

I came up with some hair-brained plan to try enabling the kernel debugging
code, with the hopes that maybe I could figure out what is supposed to be
going on .. I don't actually have any clue what I would do once I was into
the debugger, but I thought it might be interesting to learn.  After
recompiling the release source to include 'option DDB', I rebooted and
suddenly everything worked.

I figured that this was rather strange, but decided to take advantage of
my suddenly functional network connection and install a -STABLE snapshot
from earlier this month (march 3), as well as some packages.  After doing
all this, I rebooted with the -STABLE build of the kernel (DDB enabled),
and again the pc card wouldn't work.  I backed out to the -RELEASE kernel
that I compiled, and stuff resumed functioning.

From my perspective, this seems rather strange.  I have a machine that is
working, but I'm not comfortable with the fact that I can't make any
changes to it without risking breaking things.  I'm completely willing to
put my share of work into trying to resolve this, but I don't have any
clue where to start looking.  Can somebody give me some advice or
suggestions here?

Thanks,
Alex

--