Date:      Thu, 02 Sep 2004 19:05:41 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Vulpes Velox" <v.velox@vvelox.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: motherboard has died, any recommend? nForce2? or else?

Hello,

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 23:28:42 -0500, Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:54:07 -0400
> <mezz7@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Current I am stuck in the webmail and family computer for now.
>> Anyway, my motherboard just died last night so it looks like I will
>> have to shopping for some new hardwares. It is a desktop and I
>> reinstall GNOME stuff for test pretty often. I am pretty happy with
>> the AthlonXP 2000 speed, so I don't really need any power or
>> expensive hardwares.
>>
>> I am wondering if anyone can recommend me what chipest (include
>> motherboard) should I buy? nForce2? VIA? or whatever? I personal
>> like AMD, btw. :-) The nForce2 chipest is one thing that I am not
>> sure how it plays nice with FreeBSD. I think, I might pick AthlonXP
>> Barton 2800 to 3200 as my choice of CPU. No Athlon64 or newest CPU,
>> all I need is stable that will work very well with FreeBSD.
>>
>> All I need is chipest or motherboard recommend then I will pick CPU,
>> HD, RAM and etc by myself because I know what to get. Thanks!
>
> I am happy with my Abit NF7-S2. The only real problem is that onboard
> sound does not work with it. The ethernet works well. The ATA device
> is only detected as generic and thus can only do ata33. Not bothered
> to check if the sata works or is even detected yet.
>
> The chipset is Nforce2 Ultra 400.

I have the same chipest and result as your, but I have fixed few of them.
I only took a look at SMBus, ata and sound so far. I almost get SMBus
work, but not done yet and I am kind of waiting for someone to respone in
-hackers. I don't know if your ata and sound have the same IDs as mine,
but you can check two PRs of mine to get idea to fix your if you are
insteresting.

ata:	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/71321
sound:	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/71317

The id can be check by run 'pciconf -l -v'. There have few more 'noneN' in
my 'pciconf', so I am planning to walk throught list to see if I can get
those work. As for SATA and RAID, I don't bother them either because I
don't have and/or need them now.

BTW: My motherboard is MSI K7N2 Delta2 Platinum (MS-6570E-010).

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team