Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 11:53:05 +1000
From:      Steve Joynt <joynt@bigpond.net.au>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading in non-SMP systems

> > Is it possible to have Hyperthreading enabled in non-SMP systems?
>
> If you mean "non-SMP kernel", what good would it do?

Sorry, what I meant was a machine that only supports a single physical
processor. I don't have any problems with a non-SMP kernel. I've tried adding
"options HTT" without SMP and APIC_IO, but (as I expected) it doesn't seem to
do anything.

> Try removing APIC_IO.

In file included from /usr/src/sys/sys/signalvar.h:42,
                 from /usr/src/sys/sys/user.h:59,
                 from /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/genassym.c:61:
machine/smp.h:19: #error APIC_IO required for SMP, add "options APIC_IO" to
your config file.
*** Error code 1

I have APIC enabled in the bios, so I assume the motherboard's interface is
somehow non-standard, or isn't supported yet. It's an ASUS P4PE board (Intel
845PE chipset).

- steve