Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 13:56:28 +0100
From:      Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>
To:        ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for Java with graphics for 2.1.7

I am looking for a Java development environment with functional
graphics to run on 2.1.7. Someone said there is a BSD/OS JDK
available somewhere that runs on FreeBSD. I have not been able
to locate that one, does it really exist??

What I know about is:

- The lang/jdk port. Installs the classes.zip only.

- The lang/kaffe port. Seems to work very well for non-graphics code.
  Biss-awt looks to unfinished to be useful, though. I haven't tried
  sawt, but from what people write about it I suppose that one isn't
  really useful either.

- The "unofficial/unsupported" JDK in ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/
    pub/FreeBSD/LOCAL_PORTS/jdk102.11-26.tar.gz.
  This one seems to be 3.0 only (at least it wants a 3.0 libc).
  If it works with 2.2, I would consider upgrading to make it run.
  (Hmm, is there any functionality that current had in november when
  this port was done that is not in 2.2 by now?)

      _
Mats Lofkvist
mal@algonet.se