Date:      Thu, 17 Nov 2011 02:02:19 +0000
From:      Jase Thew <freebsd@beardz.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Renato Botelho <garga@freebsd.org>, Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>, Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>, Sahil Tandon <sahil+freebsd-ports@tandon.net>, Wietse Venema <wietse@porcupine.org>
Subject:   Re: "postfix-current" broken on amd64 platform

On 16/11/2011 23:30, Sahil Tandon wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 13:16:34 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

[SNIP]
>> It would be immensely helpful if run-time details could be made
>> available including line of source code, and any system configuration
>> details that are necessary to reproduce the condition.
>
> +1
>
> I hope someone with access to the cluster machine can provide this
> information.  As much as I've tried to mimic the cluster conditions
> myself, I am unable to reproduce the fatal socket error on any FreeBSD
> version.

I've just managed to reproduce the fatal socket error locally.

It can occur when IPv6 is enabled, but you don't have any IPv6 addresses
configured on any interfaces. (Yes, having an IPv6 enabled interface
with no addresses assigned is non-RFC3513 compliant, but it can and does
occur).

The cause (at least locally) is the socket call on line 214 in
util/inet_proto.c which fails with errno 43 (EPROTONOSUPPORT - Protocol
not supported).

Regards,

Jase.