Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 2003 04:19:15 +0107 (CEST)
From:      "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <FST777@phreaker.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT Humble Pie

At first: understandable documentation should begin at the beginning (and it
won't be perfect, I know).
Second: the people complaining about the documentation are newbies with
FreeBSD (like me) and many times newbies in the Open-Source community (like
me). Writing documentation is then just a few steps too far away.
Third: on many issues good documentation exists but is NOT included in the
packages (I think because they are mostly not entirely complete).
Making a good documentation wich is understandable AND complete is almost
impossible, so maybe the goals should first be changed. IMHO the concept of
"man-pages" is as good as outdated as GUI-enviroments become more popular.

People are often complaining that the "Unixxes" should make themselves as
user-friendly as Window$ is. That is not possible (because doing so simply
creates bugs) but things can improve. Documentation is a good thing to
start with. I have not the skill to do it, else I would already have
created a concept.