Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 20:24:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, gena@NetVision.net.il
Subject:   Re: no bell under Xinside server

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> It went away in revision 1.88 1995/01/12 and I think it was broken in
> syscons before that, so nothing should have been using it.
>
> >+ #define CONS_XBELL      _IOW('t', 123, int[2])
>
> Its name was CONSOLE_X_BELL in syscons and it still has that name in pcvt.

Bing!  Rings a bell in me.

No longer supported by newer pcvt's either.  It's old compatibility
cruft from pccons, and pcvt used to implement the old pccons model for
X11 support in order to ease the transition.  We've recently decided
that it will no longer be #ifdef'ed in by default for the next pcvt
release (which is to be out RSN).

You should advise Xinside to use

#define KDMKTONE        _IO('K', 8 /*, int */)

instead.  It's supported by both, syscons and pcvt.  It's the SVRx
compatible command, so they should have the code already handy for its
implementation.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/