Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:17:26 +0000
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 08:02:28PM -0700, Alex Belits wrote:

>   Can you guess, which one of of multiple cyrillic charsets never was
> actually used in Russia?
>
>   ISO 8859-5.

It's actually being used quite often now by users of MS Outlook 2000
(those of them not sophisticated enough to select their own outgoing
encoding).

>   And which is still the standard in Russian-language newsgroups,
> for russian Unix users and most of Russian-language web pages?

Cyrillic!=Russian.

>   koi8-r, one of the oldest cyrillic charsets, primarily designed to keep

This is untrue. cp1251 is used in almost all Russian web pages, and
koi8-r is the minority (for no good reason, of course, primarily because
too many people never learned to set the right charset in the outgoing
HTTP headers).

> "intuitive" mapping to ASCII, to remain usable after passing through
> characters-mangling old software and to be readable on 7-bit dumb
> terminals -- and the last mentioned property is still saving a lot of
> trouble for Russians that use mail-to-pager systems. History is more
> complex than some people think.

And with all its attractive properties, it's still missing the letter
"yat'" that I need. It's there in Unicode, of course (and in 8859-5).

--
Anatoly Vorobey,
mellon@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~mellon/