Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:03:06 +0200
From:      "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: latest wine-kthread broken?

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> This may well be.  However, GNU/Linux systems using the pthread variant,
> there is little hope anyone is ever going to fix the kthread variant.  I
> have included the kthread variant as an added benefit, but all development
> and bug fixing really should go into the pthread variant.
>
> You did not mention whether this works for your applications, but I
> assume it does not?

Your assumption is correct. Apart from simple programs like Solitaire or Notepad everything I ever tried requires wine-kthread. I'm mostly using it for Diablo 2 and Starcraft. This is the output if I use wine (pthread).

Disabling HW TCL support
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_GetAvailableTextureMem (0x1a8d90) : stub, emulating 64MB for now, returning 64MB
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x1a5570)->(0x10024,00000011)
fixme:ddraw:IDirectDrawImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x1a5570)->(0x10024,00000011)
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 32 to 8
err:seh:segv_handler Got unexpected trap 0
Bus error (core dumped)

For me a core dump is not much better than an infinite loop. It only saves me the time to run kill.

Anyway, thanks for your interest.