Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 1999 13:06:50 +0100
From:      Adam Nealis <adamn@csl.com>
To:        chris@tourneyland.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Q - apache.conf vs httpd.conf?

chris@tourneyland.com wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I was trying to configure my Apache (1.3.6), and none of the changes I was
> making to httpd.conf seemed to be making a difference. I figured that was
> my fault, till I noticed a file named apache.conf in the same directory. So
> I tried editing it instead and all is well.
>
> I'm a little nervous about both being in the directory though. Do they both
> belong there? That seems unlikely. One thing I was thinking, is that I did
> an just did an install of Apache 1.3.6, even though it may have already
> been installed. Since I've been using Apache 1.3.6 on Windows (yeah, I
> know) for a few months now, I know that it uses httpd.conf, so I wouldn't
> expect a change. But does the problem lie therein?
>
> Or more succinctly - I would like to kill httpd.conf if it isn't doing
> anything.
Apache from the ports tells the apache ./confgure script to use GNU layout.
That includes compiling into apache that it's config file is apache.conf.
As well as not using httpd.conf any more, two other stupid files, srm.conf
and access.conf are "officially" merged into apache.conf as well.

If you're nervous about consigning httpd.conf to the bit bucket, try this:

cd /usr/local/etc/apache
mv http.conf Httpd.conf
/usr/local/sbin/apachectl -t
(Tells apache to do a syntax test on its default conf file)
If apache complains about bo config file, you know it's using httpd.conf.
Otherwise it's using apache.conf. Probably.