Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 17:33:55 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Arun Sharma <arun.sharma@intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: msgbuf size

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 05:24:15PM -0800, Arun Sharma wrote:

> When I configure my box with a large msgbuf, so that I can see verbose
> boot messages, I get:
>
> WARNING: 106496 bytes not available for msgbuf in last cluster (8192 used)
>
> This seems to be related to this comment in machdep.c:
>
>         /*
>          * Initialize error message buffer (at end of core).
>          */
>
> Does it have to be at the end of core ?

No. It's one of the many things that needs to be revisited. It's
legacy behaviour...

> Why not use pmap_steal_memory to get hold of memory ?

Precisely :-)

AFAICT we deliberately avoid clearing the msgbuf so that we don't
trash it across a reboot. For this to work we have to use the
same memory address for the msgbuf. My personal stance on this is
that not clobbering the msgbuf across a reboot just adds to the
junk you have to scroll passed to get to the info you want with
dmesg(8) and also that there's no point trying to hard, because
EFI adds a level of randomness to this. So, from my point of view
grabbing the first available memory and clearing it works for me.
YMMV...