Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 09:37:02 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        yjun02@cs.auckland.ac.nz (Yong Duk  Jung), questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation

> And I tried to install XFree86 on my system. I did almost 30 times but
> I failed Error message is "Could not cd into /mnt/Xfree86-3.1.

> My system has no SCSI CDROM Drive so I copied all files in the
> Xfree86_ directory into my DOS hard drive. Strange thing is I could
> load the BINDIST using the same method.
>
> Then why couldn't I load the Xfree86_ files through the exactly same way ?

Because the XFree86 files dont' conform to the 8.3 DOS filename
limitations. Some would argue that they should, or else the FreeBSD
install script should be able to handle the DOS names.

> Please give me some hint.

The easiest solution now is to copy them to your BSD partition and
rename to their original (long) filenames and install from there.

Nate