Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 20:04:28 +0100 (BST)
From:      Paul Richards <paul@netcraft.co.uk>
Subject:   syslogd problems

Having "fixed" syslogd to not do an unconditional unlink at startup I've
now got a related problem. If the machine crashes then the /dev/log
file still exists and syslogd doesn't start up after boot.

I still think that the fix is correct since the previous behaviour
was too dangerous, there needs to be some method to cleanup after
a crash though.

Ideas:

1) Make syslogd more intelligent so it stats the file and sees if it's a
   socket. What happens if the pathname is something else's socket?
2) Removes the PATH_LOG file, probably check it's a socket just to be safe.
3) Remove /dev/log in /etc/rc before starting syslogd. (nice and easy :-)

Any thoughts.

--
  Paul Richards, Netcraft Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)