Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 11:32:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fragmentation

Wayne, Ken recently said:

> I've only been using FreeBSD for about 6 months now so excuse the
> question if there is an easy answer or if it has been recently
> covered.

> When I boot up, BSD reports somewhere between 1% and 5%
> fragmentation. Do I need to be worried about this? Is this
> something the OS takes care of or is there a utility I can use to
> degrag the volume?

That's not 'fragementation' in the same sense as the term is used
in the MSDOS world.

Read about it any of the books on the BSD system.  You'll see that
fragments are areas where piece of file are store that won't fit in
a full allocation block (typically 4K or 8K).  It's just the amount
of file-pieces stored.

When the file is next added to these pieces are reclaimed and put
in contiguous blocks if the addition is enough to fill out a full
allocation.

--
bv@wjv.com