Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 02:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

Data Point:

A dozen machines, all running sshd as a daemon.  Been doing it for more
than two years.

Number of times sshd died: 0
Number of times inetd died: 4-ish (junk pointer, too low to make sense)
Number of years since machines that don't need inetd services have been
running with no inetd, and hence no backup telnetd: 1
Number of times bitten: 0

If you really need a backup access method, get a console server :)

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
---
                     "...there's no idea that's so good you can't
                      ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."