Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:04:22 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CVSup protocol negotiation failed

Hmm, just installed 4.4 from ISO from scratch and typed "pkg_add -f
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz" to update
sources. I get the error:
"Protocol negotiation failed. See (some URL) for upgrade information."

Software moves fast, but 4.4's CVSupd shouldn't be obsolete already. I did a
brief search on google/bsd and the mailing list archives and didn't seem to
see any matches of this problem.

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!

System info:
Intel Pro/100 LAN card connected directly to cable modem via 75ft of Cat5E
cable, other internet stuff (web, ftp, etc) works fine. Fresh install on a
40GB disk with almost everything but X-windows installed (mainly because X
has never installed without error in my FreeBSD experience--that and X sucks
;-)

Tried:
Every CVS server 0-10, yes/no to firewall, etc.

Charles Burns

Charles Burns