Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 16:27:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-CVSROOT@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: machine/up.h

Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I propose that we create an alternate file to smp.h named up.h.
>
> code could then look like:
>
> #ifdef SMP
> #include <machine/smp.h>
> #else
> #include <machine/up.h>
> #endif
>
> I could then move stuff like:
>
> #ifndef SMP
> #define THIS_LOCK	/* nop this out for UP */
> #define THAT_FEATURE	/* nop this out for UP */
> #endif
>
> from individual files and gather them all up into up.h  This should cause less
> disturbance to the source tree than the current methods.

	alternative:  replace smp.h and up.h with xxx.h
	all files include xxx.h in place of smp.h or up.h
	in xxx.h have a single conditional

	#ifndef SMP
	#define "up stuff"
	#else
	#define "smp stuff"
	#endif

	SMP is defined or not by /usr/sbin/config

	this concentrates all the conditionals into a single place.
	the source files only have one include file to deal with.

	just my two cents.

jmb

ps	replace xxx.h with something reasonable....