Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 09:10:33 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Midi driver

--- Forwarded mail from "Mike Durian" <durian@boogie.com>

From: "Mike Durian" <durian@boogie.com>
To: jr@upl.com
Cc: bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject: Re: MIDI Software
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:20:18 -0700
Sender: owner-bsdi-users@bsdi.com

On Mon, 20 Mar 1995 16:12:13 MST, jr.westmoreland@upl.com (J. R. Westmoreland) wrote:
>What software is available that works with the midi driver?

  I'm the author of the midi driver (or rather /dev/midi, I believe
the sound blaster package has special midi support called /dev/sequencer,
but I can't comment on that).  The version being shipped with
2.0 (and 1.X for that matter) is old.  If you want a newer
version, you should ftp://ftp.xor.com/pub/midi/tclmidi-2.1.tar.gz.
I haven't tested the driver with 2.0 yet, but will do it soon.  I
expect the changes to be very minor.
  This version of tclmidi comes with a driver that uses the
midi board in MPU401 UART mode but also supports external SMPTE timing
if you have a Music Quest card with the appropriate hardware.  There
are also drivers supplied for LINUX and SVR4 (though SVR4 is
currently broken).  The tclmidi code itself is in C++ and was
modified to build under Windows too, but hasn't been compiled
that way in a while.  Tclmidi is TCL based.
  The only software that I know of that uses the driver is my tclmidi
package.  There was some guy working on a appegiator using the
driver, but I haven't heard from him in a while.  Someone else has
been working on a very basic sequencer using tclmidi.
  Send a "subscribe tclmidi" message to majordomo@advtech.uswest.com
if you want to be notified of any tclmidi updates and be a part
of a very low traffic mailing list.

mike

--- End of forwarded message from "Mike Durian" <durian@boogie.com>