Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 2002 21:41:04 -0400
From:      Joshua Lee <yid@softhome.net>
To:        Simon Siemonsma <simon.freebsd@hccnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD compatibility

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 09:11:24 +0200
Simon Siemonsma <simon.freebsd@hccnet.nl> wrote:

> Beware however that Linux browser plug-ins would not work with native FreeBSD
> programs. So if you install KDE you can't use the linux Flash plugin
> FreeBSD. The same is true for the cross-over plug-in.

There seems to be a FreeBSD flash plugin, my BSD flavor of Mozilla works fine with Flash and Java. (Though thanks to Sun not yet approving the shipping of Java binaries installation is a multi-part affair.)

BTW, you can always use Linux-Mozilla or Linux-Netscape4 to use Linux plugins such as Linux realplayer. They work fine under BSD, there's no real performance hit for the emulation. I don't know about the cross-over plugin though, that could be tricky since it's a windows emulator, though since I haven't bought it I don't miss it. :-)

> Personally I'm considering switching to Gentoo because of this.

Your choice. Gentoo may have a form of ports implemented in python, but that's about where the BSDishness ends.