Date:      Wed, 23 Sep 1998 00:32:14 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Subject:   DPT boot

I just tried to boot my box with a CAMified kernel, and found that it
wouldn't.  Everything probed fine, but after the NPX message it just hung
for a long while.  After a number of minutes (more than 2, as that was what
I tried first, but less than 17, which was when I got back to the box) it
spit out a message (something like "CCB (0:0:0:0:0) Timed out" - I
unfortunately didn't write it down).

This is with the following DPT controller:
dpt0: <DPT Caching SCSI RAID Controller> rev 0x02 int a irq 10 on pci0.11.0
dpt0: DPT type 3, model PM3224W firmware 07H1, Protocol 0
      on port d810 with Write-Back cache.  LED = 0000 0000
dpt0: Enabled Options:
dpt0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
scbus0 at dpt0 bus 0
... and an Adaptec 2940:
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter> rev 0x00 int a irq 9 on pci0.13.0
ahc0: aic7880 Single Channel, SCSI Id=7, 16 SCBs
ahc0: waiting for scsi devices to settle
scbus1 at ahc0 bus 0

The CCB message was the only I got - no disk descriptions from either
controller (though I don't know if I should expect them - this is my first
CAM experiement).

Any clues?  Anything I should test?  (I can hook up a pretty complete
debugging environment here, including doing remote kernel debugging if
necessary - at the moment I also have 'scratch' disks I can use for testing,
though not having this controller operational means I my main workstation is
not usable, so I'd prefer to avoid tests that take a long time).

Oh, and while this was happening, the DPT kept a steady light #3 (as counted
from the connector-less end of the DPT).

Eivind.