Date:      8 Mar 2005 14:01:09 -0500
From:      james.cook@utoronto.ca
To:        "Chris" <bsd_wave@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hello

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 05:02:03AM -0800, Chris wrote:
> Hi there
>
> As you might have guessed i'm a UNIX newbie, especially a FreeBSD newbie. I
> recently started to learn FreeBSD UNIX and i must say that it is absolutely
> unbelievable. Previously i learned Linux, the accessible solution for
> non-Windows operating systems 'till one day when a friend of mine introduced
> me to the UNIX universe and from that moment on nothing mattered more than
> to learn and understand this collossal OS.

Linux seems pretty UNIX-like to me.  I used Gentoo before FreeBSD, and the
transition wasn't any trouble at all.

I guess a lot of Linux distributions are set up so that you don't have to see
the UNIX-ness at all... but it's there.

> I will also try other distributions of UNIX like OpenBSD, NetBSD, or Solaris
> 10.

Heh, whenever I get adventurous I start to hatch plans to install unusual
operating systems, like the HURD or Plan 9... although I guess you could learn
a fair amount by sampling the different unices.  I learned a fair bit from the
various Linux distros I tried over the years, and I've certainly learned
something from my few months with FreeBSD.

> I hope i was not boring you with my stories and i would like to stay in
> touch with the UNIX community.

I rarely see posts to this mailing list that aren't just questions about
FreeBSD... and those posts are supposed to go on the -questions list.  So
thanks for a refreshing change :-)

> Bye
> Chris
>
> PS: i'd like to add that i'm from Romania, i'm 23, and i'm a student. Just
> so you know.

I'm a 19-year-old computer science and math student at the University of
Toronto in Canada.  Pleased to meet you.

- James Cook
  james.cook@utoronto.ca