Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 09:29:51 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
Subject:   Re: kill active tcp connection w/no controlling process?

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 12:24:55 +0200
Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 05:00:18PM -0700, Nathan Kinkade typed:
> > A few minutes ago I noticed the activity lights on my switch were
> > blinking like mad.  I knew that there was nothing I was doing that
> > should cause the network activity, so I checked my processes to see
> > if someone had connected to my httpd/ftpd and was downloading
> > something. Nothing there.  So I ran a `netstat -f inet` and saw that
> > there was a TCP connection to cookies.cmpnet.com in the FIN_WAIT_1
> > state.  I launched a program from ports called "trafshow" and saw
> > that my machine was actively transfering data with
> > cookies.cmpnet.com, so I checked netstat again, but still only one
> > connection to cookies.cmpnet.com in the FIN_WAIT_1 state.  This
> > network activity went on for about 5 minutes on my DSL connection -
> > many megabytes must have been transfered.  I've since found that it
> > appears to be something related to Opera, but even killing Opera
> > didn't kill the rogue TCP connection.  This brings me to my
> > question: is there any way, through a shell, to kill a socket that
> > apparently has no proccess associated with it?...It seems that this
> > scenario should never happen?  I can reproduce this problem simply
> > by reloading the questionable page in Opera.  Any ideas, thoughts?
> > By the way I'm running 4.6 Stable cvsuped and built about a week ago
> > -also, Opera for Linux v6.01.
>
> Use sockstat(1) to see what process is connected. Kill that process.

Didn't I read somewhere that sockstat was essentially a wrapper for
netstat?  In any case, I did try sockstat, but it didn't show a
connection at all.  That's the strange thing, there doesn't appear to be
an associated process that is viewable with `ps` or `netstat` or
`sockstat`.  Also, `sockstat` would not show the connection at all,
while `netstat` did.  Is this possibly because the connection was in a
FIN_WAIT_1 state?  The problem seems to be triggered by Opera, but even
killing every process associated with Opera does not kill the
connection.  Nay, killing everything save X and the standard processes
still does not get rid of the connection - it just keeps transferring
data.  Is this a bug?

Nathan