Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 1998 10:58:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        Lee Johnston <ljohnston@cyberworld.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Andrew A.Karjagin" <richi@tdis.gctc.rssi.ru>, "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Subject:   Re: PCI Ethernet Card

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 06-Jul-98, Lee Johnston wrote:
> Hi There,
>
>>      A few things. First, are you sure you have PCI card? I think ed0
>> driver is for ISA bus only. I am not sure which driver you would use
>> for
>> PCI NE2000. Someone on questions@freebsd.org will probably know.
>>      Also, turn off PnP and see if that helps. And check for IRQ
>> conflicts.
>>

> If you have controller pci0 in your kernel and a compatiable NE2000 PCI
> card when you reboot the kernel will load your PCI NIC as ed1 no-matter
> what you have in your device ed0 line (I think you must have a ed0 line
> though).

Actually, if you put:

device ed? at pci?

in your config file, it will detect the PCI card as ed0.  It's always
worked for me.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.