Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 1996 18:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        Ken Lam <klam@awod.com>
Cc:        FREEBSD-HACKERS-L <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FREEBSD-SCSI-L <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAIDION drive arrays

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Ken Lam wrote:

> I didn't get a chance to test it under FreeBSD.  Fairly fast, but
> other than the RAID 5 aspect, why not use CCD?

    Well, ccd is a start, and I may consider it more seriously if the
costs of hardware RAID prove to be too high (we're looking at 5 or 6
6-drive units to start).  ccd is free, but it doesn't give you
hot-swappable drives, automatic data rebuild on a spare drive
and a battery-powered write back cache.

    I'm going to stick with hardware RAID on the news servers, but ccd
should do just fine on our main mail server.  Raw capacity is what I'm
aiming for there, not big TPS numbers or huge disk throughput.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@io.org, taob@ican.net)
Senior Systems and Network Administrator, Internet Canada Corp.