Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:02:54 +0200
From:      "Victor Engmark" <victor.engmark@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to find HorizSync / VertRefresh rates?

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a pristine xorg.conf, but I've been unable to
find proper values for HorizSync and VertRefresh for my Dell Latitude
D610.

I've tried the values presented in MonitorsDB
<http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo/src/hwdata/MonitorsDB?view=markup>;
for "Dell 1400x1050 Laptop Display Panel", which are HorizSync
31.5-90.0 and VertRefresh 59.0-75.0, but I get a warning in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log for both of them saying they are "not within DDC
ranges."

I've tried looking around the Dell web pages, but I haven't found any
pages mentioning these parameters (not too surprising, really).

I've tried to leave these settings out, but even then I get a warning:
(WW) I810(0): config file hsync range 60-66.3158kHz not within DDC hsync ranges.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the other warnings I get
during startup:
(WW) I810(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
and
(WW) I810(0): Extended BIOS function 0x5f05 failed.

It seems that a DDC (or, apparently, DDS) query should be able to
determine these numbers, but
cd /usr/ports && make search name=ddc && make search name=dds
doesn't give any tools to deal with this.

The relevant part of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier   "Dell Latitude D610 monitor"
  VendorName   "SEC"
  ModelName    "3450"
  # From Xorg.0.log
  DisplaySize  286 214
  Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

--
Victor Engmark
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur - What is said in Latin,