Date:      Fri, 18 May 2012 23:12:46 +0200
From:      Aaron Zauner <azet@azet.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GSoC Project: Automated Kernel Crash Reporting System - Discussion

hi,

first of; grats on getting the project. very interesting.

> * Can you recommend a secure way of sending a report from a FreeBSD system
> to the Central Collector machine?
i don't know if the use of a gnu tool would conflict with FreeBSD
politics but you could use tar(1) or an equivalent and GPG.
this would also be protocol independent. e.g.: you can use a public
key for the central server to encrypt traffic destined for the server.

> * Do you propose a different Web Server than the Apache HTTP Server? For
> example, on my initial planning I had included MySQL as the selected DBMS
> and after some discussions I changed to PostgreSQL.

lighttpd works very well and fast with PHP in my experience.
varnish-cache is also pretty cool for heavy loads or distributed
setups. postgres is a good choice.