Date:      Sun, 8 Jul 2007 16:11:11 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Gloomy Group <gloomygroup@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, mpd-users@lists.sourceforge.net, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   RE: Mpd daemon stop when rotating mpd.log file with newsyslog.conf

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007, Gloomy Group wrote:

 > Thanks to all of you. Keeping "N" option solved.Thanks again.

(trying to recover the format, more or less)

Alexander Motin wrote:
 > Julian Elischer wrote:
 >
 > >> Hello all, I have installed mpd4.2.2 in freebsd 6.2. Everything is
 > >> working fine except when I make an entry in newsyslog.conf for
 > >> rotating mpd.log file the mpd daemon process stops. and I have to
 > >> restart the process again manually. Any one knows what wrong? Below
 > >> is the newsyslog.conf
 > >> /var/log/mpd.log 664 7 10900 * JC /var/run/mpd4.pid

 > > try add the 'N' option.
 > > I don't know if mpd needs to be signalled if its log file is changed..

 > Mpd does not write logs by itself, it uses syslog. So it needs not to be
 > signalled. Mpd shutdowns itself on HUP signal.

Which is a little non-POLA, but then I guess rereading its config and
restarting, like most things do on -HUP, probably doesn't make sense.

Anyhow, I think 'N' isn't needed if you don't specify a pidfile in the
first place .. then only syslogd gets sent a SIGHUP, which never hurts.
(if I'm reading newsyslog.conf right)

Cheers, Ian  (due to upgrade to mpd 4.2.2 on 5.5-S soon .. will report)