Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 02:41:36 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making ports of usenet sources

> Would it be considered acceptable to download the shell archive,
> unpack it and compile it (etc)?? Or should I create a separate tar file
> with the sources in it and upload that also???

Sure.  See /usr/ports/benchmarks/xengine/Makefile for an example of a
port which extracts from a (gzip'd) shar file.  That's why the whole
EXTRACT_* was done so flexibly - so we'd be able to deal with other
types of distribution files.  There are ports that are distributed as
tarballs, sharballs and zip files, and the ports framework deals with
all of them just fine.

					Jordan