Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2017 11:03:37 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: nvidia driver

On 18/11/2017 17:57, Marco Beishuizen wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, the wise Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
>> First, it seems that the driver requires that syscons (device sc) is compiled
>> into the kernel.  Even if vt is actually used sc still must be present,
>> because otherwise the module would fail to load:
>>> link_elf_obj: symbol sc_get_softc undefined
>>
>> Also, from my experiments it seems that switching between X and text consoles
>> works only with syscons.  If vt is used then there is a garbage on the screen
>> after switching to a text console. Is this true?
>
> Switching to console from X with Ctrl+Alt+Fx does work here with Nvidia driver
> and vt. But in /boot/loader.conf, hw.vga.textmode=1 needs to be set, otherwise
> the console text is garbled.

Thank you, Marco, and everyone who followed up with the suggestions.

So, it seems that the situation is this:
- sc must be compiled into kernel, because otherwise the module cannot be loaded
  (at least, nvidia-modeset)
- for switching between X and text consoles either of the following works:
  - sc
  - vt with hw.vga.textmode=1

Alexey,
maybe it would be a good idea to add this to pkg-message?
Thanks.

--
Andriy Gapon