Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 14:47:09 +0900
From:      JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>
To:        raviprasad20@netscape.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: addresses ::1/128 and ff01::/32

> Can anybody please mail me why ::1/128 & ff01::/32 addresses are put
> to the routing table?

Otherwise, the sending node cannot make a packet sent to ::1 (or
ff01::xxx) looped-back on the node itself.  We can do it by adding
special cases in the IPv6 output routine, but it would be much more
convenient to just use the existing routing table engine.

> what does "128" and "32" indicate?

The length of prefix (I'm not sure if this is really the answer you
want, though).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.