Date:      Fri, 17 Feb 2012 11:20:17 -0500
From:      Alex Goncharov <alex-goncharov@comcast.net>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        sendtomatt@gmail.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, hselasky@c2i.net
Subject:   Re: 8 to 9: Kernel modularization -- did it change?

,--- You/Freddie (Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:08:18 -0800) ----*
| > So, how do I go about finding and modifying the sound card pin
| > assignments in FreeBSD 9?  (If I can't do it without temporarily
| > installing FreeBSD 8, it would be a huge disappointment. :)
|
| Stick the hint into /boot/loader.conf and reboot.

How do I find the correct hint if I can't reload the sound module in
the new kernel environment and explore 'dmesg', '/dev/sndstat' and the
physical headphones with the new hint without a reboot?

Stick something in a file (/boot/device.hints or /boot/loader.conf),
reboot and see if it works... if it doesn't put a different
combination of 'cad', 'nid' and 'seq' and reboot?... And again and
again, till it works?..

(I would call this being grossly screwed up if I base my feelings on
the FreeBSD 8 experience. :)

-- Alex -- alex-goncharov@comcast.net --