Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 18:06:22 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        rnordier@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Does boot1 still have a > 1023 cyl limit?

Hi,

A quote from the end of the boot_i386.8 manual page..

  IMPORTANT NOTE: Because of limitations imposed by the conventional disk
  interface provided by the BIOS, all boot-related files and structures
  (including the kernel) that need to be accessed during the boot phase
  must reside on the disk at or below cylinder 1023 (as the BIOS under-
  stands the geometry).  When a ``Disk error 0x1'' is reported by the sec-
  ond-stage bootstrap, it generally means that this requirement has not
  been adhered to.

Just today I had a friend ask me if this is still true; I checked CVS
history and found out that this comment was added by rnordier more than
two years ago.  Is this still true?

G'luck,
Peter

--
If you think this sentence is confusing, then change one pig.