Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 15:59:05 -0400
From:      Alexander Seth Jones <ajones@ctron.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shared libg++2.7.2

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Anyone gotten the libg++2.7.2 libraries built shared?  I keep getting
> > this error:
> >
> > ld: No reference to __DYNAMIC
> >
> >   Where should this be defined?
>
> Are you sure this is what it says exactly?
>
> "no reference to" means no one imports the symbol.
>
> Typically, this would mean you are linking against the wrong ctr0;
> try explicitly referencing it on the ld line instead of letting the
> compiler call the ld for you.  This is probably just a config bug
> in the GCC distribution.
>
>                                         Terry Lambert
>                                         terry@lambert.org
> ---
> or previous employers.

  Well, I'm getting a little further along...

  It does seem as though there's a problem with the GCC distribution of
2.7.2.1.  It won't make shared libs for libg++2.7.2 out of the box.  I
end up doing:

ld -Bshareable -o libxxx.so.2.7.2 /usr/lib/c++rt0.o `cat piclist`

and this works fine; the ld error goes away.

  But, there seems to be another problem.  When compiling exceptioni.cc
from the stdc++ lib, I get the following warning from the assembler:

/var/tmp/cc000339.s: Assembler messages:
/var/tmp/cc000339.s:603: Warning: GOT relocation burb:
`___EXCEPTION_TABLE__' should be global

and I then create the shared lib as above.  But linking just a little
program that cout's "hi", core dumps in __register_exceptions before
main is called.  I know the exception handling code is sketchy right
now, but ...

  Any compiler gurus care to offer some insight?  Is this a compiler
problem, an assembler problem, or has anyone actually gotten the libs
built shared and I'm doing something outlandishly dumb?

  I'd like to see if other people are running into this problem before I
report it to the GNU people.

--
Alex Jones              |  ajones@ctron.com
Cabletron Systems, Inc.