Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:20:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        trzy@powernet.net (Bart)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation woes: hard disk/partitioning probs

[This is from a few days ago, but I saw no replies...]

Bart wrote,
> Hello,
> 	I am having some weird problems after the kernel configuration screen
> during installation. FreeBSD says stuff like:
>
> wdc0 <atapi, etc, etc, etc
> im assuming that is my CD ROM drive

wdc0 is the first IDE controller, it probably is associated with the
CDROM if it is 'atapi.'

> then it goes:
> wd0 <1590mb, etc, etc, etc
> yep, my first HD is a 1.6 gigger but i want to install it on my second
> drive (a 4 gigger with 1.8mb free, the rest is DOS drive D)
>
> what the? FreeBSD ISNT recognizing a WD1 hard disk or anything! Its an EIDE
> disk connected as slave, a Western Digital, i dont know what brand my
> 1.6gig is.

Could you tell us the full IDE setup? What devices are on which IDE
controllers and which device on each is master/slave.

> then later it says:
> wd0 not found
> but how? it says it found it

When is 'later?' What other information is given about IDE devices
(anything starting with 'w')? And what version of FreeBSD are you
trying to install?

> then i get dumped into the FDISK program... it says wd0 at the top, thats
> it. it shows my 1.6 primary drive right in front of me. but i cant get to
> wd1 or whatever my second drive is
> thus i cant install FreeBSD, can anyone help me out?

We can try. We need more info to go on.