Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 14:15:48 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.org (Brian Somers), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/mail filters in 2.2.5

> Brian,
> 	there are a couple issues here:
>
> Brian Somers wrote:
> > I installed the /etc/mail stuff a few days ago, and added a few sites
> > to domains.txt, specifically:
> >
> > BIGFOOT.DALTEK.NET^M    #blocked. contact postmaster
>
> 	first, that "^M" is it in the file?
> 	is so please delete it.
> 	after deleting the "^M"
> 	cd /etc/mail; make install

Hmm, the domains.txt I got with the ``make'' had 'em in, so I figured
they were meant to be :-I

> 	second, the way i wrote the rules, they block mail
> 	from a domain, hence the file is called domains.txt ;)
> 	bigfoot.daltek.net is a host, rather than a domain.
> 	you can change the entry domains.txt to "daltek.net".
> 	that will block mail from all of daltek.net. or you can
> 	use the amended rules below to block mail from both
> 	hosts and domains.  then you can use entries like
> 	"bigfoot.daltek.net" in domains.txt.
>
> 	add the rules below that are *not* preceded by a ">"
> 	at the start of the line ;)

Ok, done - thanks.  I'll keep an eye on things.

> jmb

It also looks like my FEATURE(`nocanonify') dodges all these rules
anyway, so I've lost that.  Mike Burgett pointed me at an interesting
site:

  http://www.informatik.uni-kiel.de/%7Eca/email/check.html

and suggests

HACK(`use_ip', `/etc/LocalIP')dnl
HACK(`use_relayto', `/etc/RelayTo')dnl
HACK(`check_mail2', `hash /etc/Banned.db')dnl
HACK(`check_relay')dnl
HACK(`check_rcpt4')dnl

as a cleaner solution.  I'm only half-quoting, so forgive me if I'm
missing something relevent.  I'm really gonna have to figure out how
all this works at some point (Yep, O'Reilly & Assoc. is the best read
I suspect, but does it cover all the m4 stuff ?).
--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>, <brian@FreeBSD.org>, <bri@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;