Date:      Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:05:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Hamilton <matt@clintondale.com>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.medinet.si>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail server

On Sat, 4 Jan 1997, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> Oh, and a related question: does anybody know about
> a POP3 server that would authenticate users through
> either Radius or TACACS+? And also a local delivery
> agent that would support this? I don't want to
> have the users in my /etc/passwd file, I want all
> of the authentication to be centralised in either
> the Radius or TACACS+ server.

I too am trying to set up a similar system and I'm looking for ways to
authenticate via RADIUS for a mail server.  The closest thing I have found
is the Cyrus IMAP server.  It does POP too.  I was designed as a sealed
system ie. people do not log on to the machine they just connect via POP#,
IMAP and SMTP to send/receive mail.
  It is so designed that it does not run as root.  It has it's own mail
database and own mail dir format.  You replace mail.local or /bin/mail
with it's delivery program and it puts mail in its dir.  It can use
Kerberos to authenticate users so I'm sure it can/has been adapted to use
RADIUS.  As it doesn't run as root and have to change into users it
doesn't (I don't think) need to know all the uid/gid/GECOS/homedir etc.
stuff from etc/passwd only username/password so it should work with
radius.
  The next step (which shouldn't be too hard) is to get Sendmail to accept
mail for these people.  The only way I can see is that whenever users are
added/deleted from your RADIUS server a list is produced of usernames and
Sendmail checks against that (It does something like this with dbm files).
  If I can't get Cyrus to do RADIUS then I will try and set up Kerberos
and get the RADIUS server to pass the requests to Kerberos.

Let me know how you get on as like I said, I am trying to do the same
thing.

Cyrus IMAP is at: http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus

-Matt

  Matt Hamilton                                         Clintondale Aviation
  matt@clintondale.com                            http://www.clintondale.com