Date:      Mon, 12 May 1997 15:51:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vic and Quickcam

On Fri, 9 May 1997, Doug White wrote:

> > What do you mean by my "network"? And how do you mean require use of
> > mbone? You have to excuse me, I´m new to this.
>
> That didn't come out the way I expected. I meant to say, does your network
> require the use of mrouted?  For instance, our Cisco routers at the U of O
> have "native multicast" enabled, so I don't need to run mrouted -- it just
> works.  :)

Ok, I see.. Well.. I tried now with programs i found on your machine,
vic-qcam and nv-qcam, and it works! The two machines I connect are on the
same ethernet, same subnet, so I think mrouted shouldn't be needed in
this case. One thing that might come up is running multicast applications
between our two offices. The two offices are connected via a 128Kb/s
link, and bridges. I assume the bridges work on "ethernet"-level, so it
shold work. Well, I have to find out that myself. :-)

> > > I have a program called `xfqcam' which can view the quickcam.  I think it
> > > even uses the kernel interface.  I don't know, I have the libraries laying
> > > around here too...I have lots of stuff from the qcam I can't use on this
> > > machine anymore....:)
> >
> > Where can I get it? :-)
>
> I will put it at ftp://gdi.uoregon.edu/pub/xfqcam.gz.  Extract and run.

Ok, I've tried it. Works sometimes, sometimes not.. complains about not
finding a camera. (?) Anyway, since I got vic-qcam and nv-qcam working, I
don't have much use for xfqcam...
Btw, the "vic"-program that a got from you don't have brightness/contrast
controls. It´s a bit sad.. Byt, hey, it's just for tests anyway.

Thank everyone!

/Jakob Alvermark

 Teligent AB, P.O. Box 213, S-149 23 Nynäshamn, Sweden
Telephone +46-(0)8 520 660 00 * Fax +46-(0)8 520 193 36
 Direct +46-(0)8 520 660 32 * GSM +46-(0)70 792 16 57