Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:11:03 -0700
From:      matt <sendtomatt@gmail.com>
To:        Jin Guojun <jguojun@sbcglobal.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI RV6 10 [Radeon HD 2400 XT] dual video card support

On 03/16/12 17:09, Jin Guojun wrote:
> Link below is the card specification:
> http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-2000/hd-2=
400/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-2400-gpu-specs.aspx

> According its spec., this video card has two independent display contro=
llers.
> However, X -configure detects only one controller, but after startx, xr=
andr shows two controllers.=20
> The question is that is this video card fully supported by X and FreeBS=
D?
> If so, how to use X to configure it for two displays?
>
> -Jin
>

> % xrandr=20
>
> Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 1200, maximum 1600 x 1600
>
> DVI-1 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis=
) 367mm x 275mm

>    1600x1200      60.0*+
>
>    1280x1024      75.0     60.0 =20
>
>    1152x864       75.0 =20
>
>    1024x768       75.0     60.0 =20
>
>    800x600        75.0     60.3 =20
>
>    640x480        75.0     59.9 =20
>
>    720x400        70.1 =20
>
> DVI-0 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis=
) 367mm x 275mm

>    1600x1200      60.0*+
>
>    1280x1024      75.0     60.0 =20
>
>    1152x864       75.0 =20
>
>    1024x768       75.0     60.0 =20
>
>    800x600        75.0     60.3 =20
>
>    640x480        75.0     59.9 =20
>
>    720x400        70.1 =20
Hopefully I understand your question correctly...

Try "xrandr --auto" with both screens attached. That should create a
mirrored view.
Then "xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of DVI-1" should do split desktop,
however you may need to add a Virtual line to Xorg.conf before that works=
?

If so, you can make this permanent either with a script or some desktop
environments (say xfce) allow you to save these settings in their
display control panel.

The days of one xorg server per screen are gone, so randr makes one
virtual screen of the size of both (depends on whether you use
right-of/left-of or above/below in second xrandr command).

Matt