Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 22:12:29 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@Haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

[phk sent a similar mail, but it had a much too long cc: list I hope
everyone relevant sees it anyway]

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <199712060810.AAA20945@tao.thought.org> Gary Kline writes:
> : 	If there are fewer than 10 gotchas, a merger still makes
> : 	sense to me.  If OpenBSD is too different from FreeBSD,
> : 	NetBSD shouldn't be.
>
> shouldn't be a big deal.  however, in practice it turns out to be a
> big deal.  there are at least 100 gotchas. everything from some ports

Some of which should be corrected anyway.

> assuming i386, to missing libraries, to differences in how man pages

The target processor should be encoded somewehere, assuming something
about it is no good . Missing libraries? They just need #ifdefs around
the depenency lines (+ some {Open, Net}BSD specific ports). Installing man
pages should be done using a script lie install-man (which can be plaform
specific so it always get's done right). I haven't seen the list, but I
would bet that half of them are of this type.

> are stored, to ... well you get the idea.  there is more hair here
> than meets the eye.

Sure. Having a unified ports collection is that big a task that it
certainly requires co-operation from all the parties. The conversion would
have to be done port at a time anyways.

> Warner

	Sander

	There is no love, no good, no happiness and no future -
	all these are just illusions.