Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:03:32 +0100
From:      Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PC-BSD 9.0 in VirtualBox

[ Mike Jeays wrote on Thu 27.Sep'12 at 22:56:42 -0400 ]

> I have been running PC-BSD 9.0 with the KDE interface in a VirtualBox VM, and notice that it uses CPU resources when idle, driving up my CPU temperature about 15 degrees on an otherwise idle machine. (It is an Intel i5 quad four). Is this to be expected?

Purefuly a guess, but I would imagine that's KDE for you. From what i've read on forums and such-like, KDE is very memory intensive in terms of using it all up! I tried PC-BSD on my current machine, I found it to be slow because of the Desktop. I've only ever used BSD on this machine and have never experienced that problem when using my preferred minimal window manager. The machine in question is a 2 core Pentium K8 class, with 2G of ram. So not as high spec as yours, but still I went straight back to my standard FreeBSD install and ZFS root FS and much happier with the set-up now.