Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 15:49:47 -0400
From:      jtn@mc.com (Jason Nelson)
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hmmm@alaska.net
Subject:   Re: ftp netrc

> i have a NETRC machine entry for my isp.  it just logs me and and =
lists=20
> my dir, and i want to leave that AS IS.  however, i'd like to write a =
SH=20
> script that will automatically back up my work and then FTP the =
archive=20
> to my isp, then exit, and shutdown.
>=20
> it doesn't seem possible to : ftp send xyz.file
> on the command line
>=20
> and the NETRC file seems to allow only one entry per machine.
>=20
> so - i can't see how i can do this
>=20
> but i know with UNIX all things are possible, right? !

Look for ncftp in the packages.. or better, try "fetch" which comes with =
all=20
versions after and including 2.1.5. It allows you to grab a file =
according to a=20
URL, for instance:

fetch ftp://ftp.somewhere.edu/home/username/thisfile.tar.gz

--
Jason T. Nelson                                        <jtn@mc.com>
Mercury Computer Systems, Inc                        Chelmsford, MA