Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:03:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is my -current system Hard Locking?

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
> I'm getting quite frustrated with -current.  I've been running it
> for years and had relatively few problems.  However for quite some
> time now I've had a problem with Hard Locks.  By Hard Lock I mean
> that the system doesn't respond to ether traffic, the keyboard
> doesn't respond, the capslock, numlock, and scroll lock keys do
> nothing, the corresponding LEDs don't light, and ctrl/alt/del
> doesn't reboot the system.  The only out is to hit reset.

I have the same problem on a pair uniprocessor i810s with Celeron 500's
(not OC either).  It used to happen every night.  The power light turns
off on the front of the case but everything else is still running.
Numlock is frozen and only a hard power down does anything.  I've left one
or the other of the boxes running -stable for over 30 days uptime without
a problem.

I disabled ACPI and now the box runs for a week before doing the same
thing.  I have no way to get a trace or anything.  Very frustrating to
debug.  Any ideas?

-Nate