Date:      16 Dec 1999 19:42:07 +0100
From:      Bjorn Danielsson <carbon-unit-1@urquell.pilsnet.sunet.se>
To:        Roxanne Parent <roxanne@yucc.yorku.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.2 install problems

Roxanne Parent <roxanne@yucc.yorku.ca> wrote:
> I have an IBM Aptiva E26 wit ATAPI EIDE cdrom.
>
> I can not seem to be able to use the cdrom to boot.

I don't have any clue about that, but please read on.

> I have also had no luck with the floppies!?!

What happened when you tried the floppies? I tried the 3.3 floppies
on an old machine that doesn't have a CDROM, and got the error
"Can't find /mfsroot" after switching to the second floppy.

If the exact same thing happened to you, maybe my solution will work:

I made a copy of the first floppy (kern.flp), mounted it, and in
the file /boot/loader.rc I inserted the line "set currdev=disk0:"
just before the line "load -t mfs_root /mfsroot". After this change
it booted without problems. I still really don't know *why* this
was needed, it was pure trial and error on my part actually.
But I'd guess that there is some problem with the naming conventions
for the floppy file system.

--
Björn Danielsson  KTHNOC / Swedish University Network
   (mail me for my real e-mail address)