Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 2002 19:24:03 -0400
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Sergey Lyubka <devnull@asitatech.ie>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Assembly, Kernels and Bootstraps

On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 01:27:29PM -0700, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> > You can write all you want, but if a publisher won't print it, you're
> > out of luck.  Publishers are very leery of things that are obsolete
> > before they're printed.  I'm not saying it *can't* be done, but it
> > would be difficult to get a publisher to bite.
>
> Not necceserily, a person from Addison Wesley , was interested in
> publishing the developer's handbook, when it was filled with information.
> I am not trying to argue though. :-)

Interested?  Yes.  Look at the license on the dev handbook; no author
royalties makes such a publishing venture much more likely.

And there's a *big* gap between interest and a signature on the dotted
line.  Been there, done that.

I know of well over a dozen FreeBSD books that have had a contract
signed, and then been dropped before the book was published.  And I'm
sure there's more out there.

Nailing down interfaces would be a big help in actually making such a
book come to fruition.

==ml

--
Michael Lucas		mwlucas@FreeBSD.org, mwlucas@BlackHelicopters.org