Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 03:44:00 +0200
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   QLRe: LRe: Oracle,

Since neither MX nor A records were available...

Dinesh Nair wrote:

> offlist message. i'd be interested to hear more about this. from what i
> read, mysql does have transactions with berkeley db tables, and these can
> be mixed and matched with the myisam tables in a database.

So I heard. Surely a big step away from atomicity by manual locking. Still,
I ask you, what edge do Berkeley DB tables and such have that Oracle can
but hope to aspire to?

That MySQL is moving forward I do not doubt. That MySQL is a serious
alternative to Oracle or DB/2, Sybase, Ingres, Informix, Interbase,
I do.

From 5.4 (http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Compatibility.html#Missing_functions) :

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Compatibility.html#Missing_Transactions

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Compatibility.html#Missing_Triggers

etc.

And of course, "MySQL doesn't yet support views, but we plan to implement
these to about 4.1." followed by some gobledegook about views being
read-only.

MySQL is a nice DBMS for its niche. But that's all. And it's enough.
Something most people don't seem to understand. Guess they're the
kind who would love to have a Rolls-Royce for a golf cart.

Roelof

PS or a mini-cooper to drive the queen around ;)