Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2012 14:45:05 -0200
From:      "Edinilson - ATINET" <edinilson@atinet.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Fretby <jfretby@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD boxes as a 'router'...

Hi,

I´m using Freebsd as a 'router' since version 4.3 (after this, 5.x, 6.x,
7.x). Now we are using FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE 64 bits on a Intel Server Boards
S3200SH/S3210SH with 16gb RAM, 500gb SATA disk.
In these years, we always use SuperMicro´s OR Intel´s Motherboards and Lan
Cards from Intel (fxp and em) together with Freebsd.

But, even using Intel Lan cards, we *NEVER* would be able to use polling
without any kind of problem.

Our upstream is 140Mbit, and even in our very busy ISP environment (BGP Full
Routing+several ipfw filters+several graphs being generated), this machine +
FreeBSD 9 can acomplish the task without problems.

ps: You could try CPU AFFINITY in the new FreeBSD kernel version to get best
results (instead of polling):
http://segfault.in/2010/09/how-to-set-cpu-affinity-for-a-process-in-freebsd/

Good luck!

Regards