Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 1995 08:58:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        michaele@mxim.com (Michael Enkelis)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI Tape devices

As Michael Enkelis wrote:

> I can only do ONE operation to my tape drive.  After the operation
> completes, it ignores all other commands until a reboot.  Normaly
> inserting another tape will cause the drive to find BOT marker, this
> does not even happen.

> (ahc1:5:0): "TANDBERG  TDC 3600 -04." type 1 removable SCSI 1
> st0(ahc1:5:0): Sequential-Access st0: Tandberg tdc3600 is a known rogue
> density code 0x10, 512-byte blocks, write-enabled

I don't have problems with a similar drive:

(bt0:4:0): "TANDBERG  TDC 3600 =08:" type 1 removable SCSI 2
st0(bt0:4:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x0,  drive empty

(The different appearence is due to having ``options NEW_SCSICONF''
defined.)

> When i install a tape drive (tandberg 3820) on the external bus, it is
> probed as st0 and the tape drive (tandberg 3660) on the internal SCSI bus
> probes as st1.

Your external drive has a lower SCSI ID, and is therefore probed
first.  You can wire your TDC 3600 to st0 if you want; refer to the
LINT config file.

What exactly are you doing with your drive?  What is the response
(including syslog output) for a following `mt status', `mt rewoffl',
`mt eom' etc.?

--
cheers, J"org